Monday, June 9, 2014

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green- Review!


"I'm in love with you," he said quietly.
"Augustus," I said.
"I am," he said. He was staring at me, and I could see the corners of his eyes crinkling. "I'm in love with you, and I'm not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things. I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been turned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you." - John Green, The Fault in Our Stars






There are some spoilers in this review, so if you haven't read the book- please stop! Come back later, after you've experienced the greatness John Green has to share!!


Hazel Grace is terminally ill. She's got a crappy set of lungs, but a heart full of determination and strength. Throughout this story, I felt myself preparing for the day when Hazel wouldn't be able to come back with a snarky or slightly pretentious comment and I knew I'd fall apart as much as her father did every day the moment that happened. That's not the way it happened, though...



I felt tied to Hazel because of her love for family. At times it seemed like she resented her mother for hovering and always being there, but then other times she knew she couldn't imagine not having her mom there. I love that Hazel and her father bonded even more towards the end of the book and Hazel was finally able to see why he was always so upset and so worried about her.

My heart broke for Hazel when she was finally able to talk to Van Houten and it was a total let down. I can only imagine the feelings I'd be experiencing if I had wanted nothing more than to meet my favorite author, find out the fate of the characters I'd fallen in love with, only to find a drunken, mean man in a previously fantastic author's body. I was thrilled about the time Hazel got to spend with her beau in Amsterdam, though.

 "Our fearlessness shall be our secret weapon" 

Meet Augustus Waters, everyone. He's the true star of this book for me. Augustus has battled with cancer and has been told he has great odds for recovery, unlike Hazel who was told any medication that works will only give her more time, not a cure.

Augustus is a lover. He wants to live a worthy life. He wants to die in valor. He loves Hazel Grace with all he has, no matter how much she tries to push him away. Hazel tries to spare him the pain, but little does Hazel know, she's falling for a grenade as well.  Augustus loves his friends (who, besides stupid Monica, couldn't love Isaac?!), loves life, and loves Hazel. He understands Hazel in a way no one else has and she just gets him. They are true star-crossed lovers.

As for the rest of their story, read the book. I don't say this lightly: I feel as if a review can't really suffice the emotions you'll experience once you bite the bullet and read this. It's heart-warming, heart-breaking, and everything in between. If you're adventurous enough to hear my true thoughts on the book without worrying about a spoiler, read ahead...



This book destroyed me in the best way possible. I fell in love with Hazel Grace and Augustus. I felt my heart break along with Hazel's when Augustus took a turn for the worst and started fading fast. I felt the embarrassment Augustus felt when he got to that point and couldn't take care of himself. I felt the fear Hazel had every time her phone rang at odd hours of the day because she was waiting for the inevitable call that would destroy her. There are two parts of the book I feel it absolutely necessary to quote because I loved them so:

This part was done by Isaac when Isaac, Hazel, and Augustus did a pre funeral ceremony for Augustus: "When the scientists show up at my house with robot eyes and they tell me to try them on, I will tell the scientists to screw off, because I do not want to see a world without him."




Last, but definitely not least was Hazel Grace's semi-final words to Augustus:

My name is Hazel. Augustus Waters was the great star-crossed love of my life. Ours was an epic love story, and I won't be able to get more than a sentence into it without disappearing into a puddle of tears. Gus knew. Gus knows. I will not tell you our love story, because-like all real love stories- it will die with us, as it should... How am I-- okay. Okay." 

Okay.





Here's my mini-playlist for The Fault In Our Stars:

1. Story of My Life by New Direction
2. Love Song by 311 (Acoustic version)
3. Yellow by Coldplay
4. Because You Loved Me by Celine Dion
5. Hear You Me by Jimmy Eat World





No comments:

Post a Comment