Monday, June 9, 2014

Love, In English by Karina Halle- Review!

"Love is like a thief, it robs you of all thought and logic, and all you have left is a heart that you can only pray is strong enough to survive." - Karina Halle




Karina Halle never disappoints. The only reason this isn't a 5 star book is because of the affair aspect. I'm vehemently against cheating and I rarely have strong, positive feelings for a book that portrays cheaters.  I don't want to love a male character who cheats when he's married. That's hard for the left side of my brain that thinks analytically, that sees things in black and white. However, the story between Vera and Mateo is definitely gray. Logically, I hate that Mateo was married, I hate that he and Vera had an affair, and I hate they couldn't just be two single people that fell in love. But, simplicity doesn't always exist and it doesn't always make a good story. I loved the love I felt from Mateo towards Vera. I loved the very real reactions and feelings Vera felt about being the other woman, and being overwhelmed with the feelings of guilt, sadness, yet overall yearning to be with the only man she ever truly loved. I loved the sense of family and culture you receive by just reading about their experience in Acantilado. I loved that so much I'm seriously looking into participating in that program, because it sounds like an incredible experience (and it is a real program, check out Karina Halle's Facebook page for more details). Overall, I really enjoyed this read. Halle mentions that she was thoughtful about this book because it's not like many of her other action packed, drama-filled stories, but I liked this one exactly how it was. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally Team Camden and LOVE her other books but this story seemed right just the way it was written. I can't wait to read what comes next!




Playlist:
1. Kinda I Want To by Nine Inch Nails
2. I Won't Give Up by Jason Mraz
3. Your Call by Secondhand Serenade
4. From Where You Are by Lifehouse
5. Summertime Sadness by Lana Del Ray
6. Firework by Katy Perry




No comments:

Post a Comment