Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Marked by the Vampire (Purgatory #2) by Cynthia Eden - Review

"I kill because I'm a vampire. That's sort of our thing."


I absolutely love Cynthia Eden! Her books are always sexy, adventurous and mysterious. Marked by the Vampire is the second book in the Purgatory series. The first book is The Wolf Within, which I did not read first and I think that's why I was a tad bit confused at first. I loved the story but there were times I felt like we were moving right along and then we would come to a sudden halt and make an abrupt turn and derail. I don't read paranormal stories often but if they are written as well as this author, then I think I will be reading more!

Dr. Olivia Maddox is a psychologist who studies criminals to determine why they become such monsters. Well that's where you could say curiosity killed the cat! She is able to gain access to a Paranormal Jail call Purgatory. This is where the paranormals (werewolves, vampires, etc) are placed when they turn on humans and kill. Purgatory is described to look like Alcatraz and is pretty much a hell hole. 


Purgatory is where we meet Shane August, undercover FBI agent who is sent to Purgatory as a "criminal" to see where the loopholes are coming from within the prison. Shane is a very old, very powerful, very sexy vampire! Did I mention he's super sexy, and dark and....okay moving on!


I can't go into too much detail because this is a fast paced book and a lot happens! Again, I suggest you read the first book because things will make more sense! Olivia ends up being saved by Shane when all hell breaks loose at Purgatory. You end up realizing very quickly that there's something "special" about Olivia because the wolves and vampires that she does get to interview find her "scent" very appealing and very "different." If any of you watch True Blood you'll kind of understand the whole "special scent" ordeal! Olivia is a Djinn...and when I first read that I was like WTF?


A Djinn is something I have never really read about in any paranormal book I've read. It's pretty much a very powerful witch, wizard, something or another that can unleash hell on earth for the humans if used incorrectly. It was very confusing trying to figure it all out!! And I think Olivia was feeling the same thing because she had no clue what she was!

I did enjoy the story but felt is wasn't up to par with how this author normally writes. But it was dark and sexy and every time Shane bit Olivia I about melted into a pool of OMG-ness. I mean when a hot vampire states "You will ask for my bite" you can't really turn that invitation down...like ever! I will be reading the next book because now I'm interested!







No comments:

Post a Comment