Friday, May 8, 2020

Half Truths by Claire Contreras Book Review!

"Oh, Mae." He sighed into the phone. "How could you be a footnote when you're the whole damn textbook?" - Claire Contreras, Half Truths



Image from Google/Amazon




Claire Contreras has done it again with her most recent novel, Half Truths. I have been a fan of her for years, have read several of her books, and this book was no exception. I picked up this book blindly after seeing who the author was and reading about it on a newly released list. I am so glad I did! 



 This story follows a college senior who transferred in to a new college to her, old college to several members of her lineage, a college with a suspicious past (and present) and secret societies that may be up to no good. There is so much suspense in this story, but not too much angst. While I have loved angst in the past and still do to an extent, I think I'm in a phase of reading where I prefer a little less because life can be stressful enough. Don't hear me say I don't love some good angst, I was just ready for a little break from some of the YA books that can be all angst all the time.





SPOILER ALERT! 
If you prefer to be completely surprised in a book,
don't read any further- I don't want to be 
responsible for ruining the story for you! 


 The character development of the two main characters, Logan and Mae (Amelia but she goes by Mae) was incredible.

 Logan has got to be one of my new favorite book beaus, hands down! He's just so... passionate, loving, charismatic, devoted, loyal, etc. etc. etc. All the makings of a great man! 

"If you were mine, I'd make it so that you never have any doubts." "You can't promise that." "I won't promise that. I'll just show you." 




There were parts of Mae’s story where I wanted to shake her and tell her to open her eyes, but overall and by the end she showed how strong of a character she is, especially when she had to overcome a pretty scary and intense situation. One of the most heartbreaking quotes I've attached below. I removed the name of the character and changed a couple of words just in case you haven't read the book and want to be surprised.

"******* hadn't killed me, but had managed to break me, and sometimes being broken felt like a heavier burden than the idea of not being here at all."



I can't imagine going through what she did, but it's so incredible to see her go through the struggle and come out strong on the other end! 




Continuing on...

I loved the romance of this story.

 I loved the feeling of getting into a book again and not wanting to stop reading.

 I love the other characters in this story and while they may not have had huge roles, I think the author was really successful in creating these support characters because that’s exactly what they turn out to be. 

There were definitely points in the story where I was on pins and needles waiting to see what was going to happen next and one or two times where I felt like there was a neon sign flashing danger, danger about a certain person or situation, but overall this book absolutely kept me entranced and reading to the end. The only down side is waiting until July for book 2 in this series, though I am SO glad this book didn’t end on a cliffhanger!! Can’t wait to read what’s next!






If I peaked your curiosity and I hope I did, check Half Truths out! 

Amazon
(If you subscribe Kindle Unlimited, it's free right now!)
If you don't have Kindle Unlimited and have questions about it, feel free to comment below and I'll happily answer as soon as possible!

Goodreads


Until then, happy reading, my friends! 


No comments:

Post a Comment