Sunday, January 18, 2015

RELLIK by Teresa Mummert Review!

"Something broken inside of both of us fit together, the jagged pieces piercing into the armor we wore against the world."-Teresa Mummert, Rellik


Ok, so right away I've got to admit something- the cover is what sold me on this book. The cover was mysterious and steamy and totally grabbed my attention. I decided to read this book based on the cover and the cover alone. There have been a few other times I've done this and it didn't turn out so great. In this case, I don't regret the decision! I really enjoyed the book. Having said that, it was a 3.5 star read for me (ok, closer to 4!). There are two reasons it wasn't a 5 star read: 1) there were some significant typo/grammar errors. I didn't even want to mention it, but I noticed a few throughout and inside I was just screaming for Ms. Mummert to let me be one of her beta readers! 2) I felt like the first 40% of the book took place in one scene, one time of the book world. It feels like the whole book took place in a very short time span. It's not really a bad thing, it just seemed like it was a little rushed and fast paced for my style. Ok, on to talk about all the things I loved about it :)




It was intense. It was dark. It was different. You find yourself rooting for the bad, good guy. Does that make sense? It does to me so hopefully it will to you, too! Ryder had his heart broken at a young age. He hasn't had an easy life by any means. There's one person, one girl, who helped him, who kept him sane through all the sadness and trials he faced. But she was forbidden to him, and she later became his biggest heartbreak. His life after that moment became a series of choices he made with little care of consequences, the only thing he cares about at all being his music. Until Ella. He became obsessed with her and her secrets. Little did he know, she was going to discover all of his secrets, too.




Ella is fiercely independent. She's spent most of her life on her own, dealing with broken promises from family members and serious feelings of abandonment. Then, she had to experience something no child should after her own family had given up on her. She spends every day just trying to survive, but also trying to track down those things from her past she feels are unfinished. Ryder is the only one who can help her and he'll do anything to try to right the wrongs of the past.


"She was a flame, I was gasoline and together we burned, an inferno so hot it would consume us both."



Oh, and one more thing-- this book was steamy! You could feel the passion between Ella and Ryder immediately. Yes, the book was fast paced and they advanced to the I <3 U stage pretty quick, but you could feel why! They were the perfect piece to each other's cracked souls and I was so happy with how this book ended! Definitely worth the read :)



Songs that remind me of Rellik:

-  Nothing Else Matters by Metallica
- Devil Town by Bright Eyes
- Mad World by Gary Jules
- The Scientist by Coldplay

No comments:

Post a Comment