Thursday, October 21, 2021

The Brit by Jodi Ellen Malpas Book Review!

 "I'll only ask once. Do you want to be mine?" "Yes." No hesitation. No second-guessing. Yes." - Jodi Ellen Malpas, The Brit



Y'all! It has CLEARLY been too long since I've sunk my teeth into a JEM novel. The Brit was so freaking good. I read each page, each sentence, each word, on baited breath waiting to see how it was going to play out. 

From the very beginning of this story, I loved Danny. As a ten year old little boy who desperately needed to be loved, I just wanted to take him home and show him love more than anything else.

Luckily, someone else did that. It may not have been the best upbringing. It may not have been the prettiest, the nicest, the most ethical, but at least he was finally shown a sliver of what love could be. The man he developed into because of his childhood and upbringing... is a man nobody wants to mess with. 

Rose is a tough freaking cookie, too. She has not gone without her share of trauma and torture. She continues to stand tall, and to fight, and to survive. She's an incredibly well written character and I can't imagine the life she's led and how she's able to function as much as she is. 

Seeing Danny and Rose interacting together??


I don't want to give too many details of this story away because it's just epic and you need to read it and experience it yourself. 

What I will say? This book keeps you on pins and needles until the very last page. I don't know if I've ever wanted two people to work out as much as I've wanted this for Danny and Rose. I questioned everyone in this book because I just KNEW something was amiss and it is very hard to figure out who to trust. Especially when you have Danny's Dad's words of wisdom ringing in your ear, "never trust anyone." The Brit is just another excellent example of how easily Jodi Ellen Malpas can create these creative, intricate worlds that you truly feel like you're apart of as you read the story. She has an uncanny ability to make you fall in love with even the most broken of characters and desperately cheer them on. This story is full of love and hate, fire and ice, passion and malice, forgiveness and condemnation. It's dark and gritty and heartbreaking, but so much more. It is so many things it's hard to put into words. I loved every sentence. Cheers to you, Mrs. Malpas. You gave me those Jesse vibes in a whole new way, and that's something I am always going to look forward to reading!! 


Check this one out, y'all. You won't be disappointed. 

Happy reading! 






No comments:

Post a Comment