Friday, March 19, 2021

Perfect Wreckage by Catherine Cowles Book Review!

 "If you really want to live your life to the fullest, you have to let go of who you think you should be and let yourself become who you truly are." - Catherine Cowles, Perfect Wreckage



That quote got me. It is a great summary of what this book really is about. This story follows Kenna and Crosby. This is the second book in the Wrecked series. I originally didn't think I could like a second book in a series more than I liked the first, but... I do. I loved Kenna and Crosby's story. Don't get me wrong, I love Bell and Ford in Reckless Memories, but there is just something about Kenna and Crosby to me.


Even in Reckless Memories, we would get snippets of Crosby teasing or poking at 'Brown Eyes' and her not giving him the time of day, but still not hating his attention and affection. Even as a side character, Crosby seemed like he had a kind heart and Kenna desperately needed that. Kenna, in the first book, seemed like such a badass but also untouchable. She is close with Bell and Caelyn, but that was about it.


Through this book we learn a lot more about Kenna and what has made her into the impenetrable force that she is. She has gone through a lot in her life, after having a mother who never acted as a mother but more of a toxic relationship, a father she never knew, and  several other traumas that you'll read about if  you read this book. It helped me to realize how big of a fighter she truly is, and also why she fights so hard to let people in. She's been let down way too many times to be willing to be vulnerable again. This is another one of those super relatable characters that I love to read about. I also just want to give Kenna a big hug. 



Crosby grew up in a very affluent family, but didn't have the perfect family life that you may expect. He had his basic needs covered while there are plenty that don't, but he definitely has scars from growing up with his family. These scars prevent him from being vulnerable with others as well. He's constantly searching for that freedom, that adrenaline high to remind him he's alive and he's his own man. 



When Crosby starts to get to know Kenna more and more, he finds himself conflicted internally. Will he be able to "give up" that freedom that he so desperately needs to settle down with someone? Will Kenna be able to open herself up to the possibility of getting hurt again? 



This story was just so good. It kept me flipping the pages and wanting to know more and more. I can't finish my review without mentioning two other characters though: Harriet and Zoe. I loved Harriet's character for Kenna. She stepped in when Kenna's own biological mother couldn't be bothered. Harriet shared her home, her heart, her love, and her wisdom, and Kenna became all the better for it. Everyone deserves to have a Harriet in their lives. And Zoe... sweet Zoe! I love Crosby's heart for donating so much of his time and legal expertise to help kids in the foster care system. Zoe is one of those kids and a kid Crosby was able to save from a terrible foster home situation based on his intuition and gut. I love the heart Crosby has for Zoe and Kenna as well after Crosby introduced them. This was just another section of this book that just...made my heart smile. 





If you're interested in learning more about becoming a foster parent or helping foster children, please read more about that here: 

Foster Information


If you're interested in this story, check it out below:

Amazon

Barnes and Noble

Audible

Goodreads


As always... happy reading! 




No comments:

Post a Comment